Skip to main content

The Advocate Intro


 Intro 

As I sit here in the ICU by my mother’s side, I wanted to type up my story to share my mother’s journey during COVID. I am just going to write it like I talk, little rough around the edges and no filter. I also spell mom M-O-M-A and my Moma always said that is ok, so do not judge me. I am a Moma’s boy for sure. I am no means a writer or an English professor so do not judge my grammar. I hold various titles and credentials in healthcare. I have worked in healthcare since I was 17 years old and have been exposed to it all my life. I have worked in various settings such as EMS, Acute Care Vent Unit, Urgent Care, and Outpatient Care. I have dealt with COVID outside of the hospital during the whole pandemic. I have always heard healthcare is different now, COVID is a monster, understaffed, bad patient ratios, and burnout but I have not seen it firsthand in the hospital system until now. It has been a difficult experience since I worked in healthcare and my mother raised me in healthcare. I remember at the age of nine I knew how to do vitals because my mother would have me at work with her when she ran a free clinic in Statesville. What nine-year-old knows how to do vitals and run a UA on a patient? I tried to type three days in so bear with me if I am out of order with some items.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Fourteen Saturday Wiping tears with a paper towel

  Day Fourteen Saturday Wiping tears with a paper towel   Today makes two weeks we have been in the hospital. This is the day my sister lost hope and was thinking it was over. I was eager that morning to make breakfast like what Moma and I usually do make breakfast, shoot the shit and do laundry. I heard from Ivy this morning and she had been talking to Jason, a nurse she had bonded with. The one that wasn’t my favorite. Ultimately, he is extra as hell and over exaggerates and makes a mountain out of a mole hill. Yes, Moma is not in beautiful shape, but he generally paints a worse picture. Ivy had me tore up absolutely holler crying at the house before I left. Was a bad scenario, the poor dogs. I got ready and headed to the hospital. Ivy had made the comment I wonder if I should cancel my patients for the day (thinking she was about to roll out this world). I get there and she looks about the same, not perfect. I felt like she was heavily sedated. They had added versed to th...

Day Seventeen Tuesday Burrito

  Day Seventeen Tuesday Burrito   Today I was headed to Statesville to go to my “PCP” and get a little Ativan to try to help me with freaking out about Moma. Usually on the road to and from Statesville you can get a good unobstructed view of the sky and makes a nice picture.  I decided to go to Starbucks and set up for a little bit before my appointment. Its amazing how much you get done when you're not at work but in an environment you can focus. I headed to see Kristen and she was didn’t even really have to do much but lay eyes on me. I decided to have it sent to Publix across the street so I could go get it right away. Sill me they're busy AF and said it would be an hour. So I walked down the strip and got a hair cut because my co worker Cindy said I looked like I haven't been taking care of myself and just let myself go, which wasn’t a lie. After getting skipped over a few times I finally got my haircut. I didn’t even get mad cause what the hell ...